Friday, October 3, 2008

The Beginning

I guess I will begin by telling Evan's story in case you are not familiar with all of the details. I am going to tell his story over time, and not all at once.

Cory and I found out I was pregnant in December of 2007, and we were so excited. We had been hoping to be pregnant by Christmas so that Allison and this baby would be around 3 years apart and would get to go to high school together. We were laughing when we realized that this baby's due date and Allison's birthday were only 5 days apart!

My pregnancy was very healthy from the beginning. I had the typical pregnancy symptoms of being unusually tired and nauseated in the first trimester. Other than that, everything was great. I loved being pregnant with Allison and was really looking forward to this experience again.

I often compare being pregnant with being engaged to be married. You begin to plan for the big day, get lots of attention, register for gifts, have showers, dream about the future, count down to the big day, the big days comes, your life changes forever and you get to live with this person for the rest of your life!

Today I was talking with my dear friend, Marci, about how much you "plan" for from the first moment the pregnancy test is positive without even realizing it. From which room will be the nursery, to possible names, to what the holidays will be like, to what year the baby will be graduating from Baylor! I know, I know. But it's true.

I have since learned that I am not in control. My "plans" for our life with Evan will not come to be as we had hoped. Everyday I am reminded of just how many plans I had already thought of. The other day I was reminded just by driving by the pumpkin patch at Bethany UMC where we take Allison's picture every October. I thought Evan would be there too this year. It's things like this that catch me off guard and bring those emotions right to the surface when I am least expecting it.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD,
"plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11



Ladybug Allison in the Pumpkin Patch ~ October 2006



Kitty Cat Allison in the Pumpkin Patch ~ October 2007

4 comments:

emk said...

I can't wait to see what cute costume 2008 brings!!

johnstonkb said...

April, you write so beautifully! Thank you for continuing to share with us and whoever else might find inspiration from you here. Love you!

Amanda and Paul said...

Thank you for sharing!! Also, I can't wait to see what Allison is going to be this year!!
Miss you guys!!

Rosemond said...

April...so glad to see you on here so that I can keep up with your precious family! When I heard about sweet Evan, I began praying for you guys, and I haven't stopped.